Duties and Responsibilities
* Seek to optimize individuals' level of functioning whose difficulties are congenital or as the result of an accident, aging, lifestyle or illness.
* Review referrals and patient records to determine the nature of intervention in an in-patient and out-patient capacity.
* Plans, organizes and conducts occupational therapy program in the hospital or community setting to facilitate development and rehabilitation of mentally and physically challenged clients.
* Performs assessment and treatment of all Occupational Therapy clients as stipulated in the scope of practice.
* Develop treatment protocols and home programs which will assist the client to regain physical functioning or adjust to the impairment.
* Facilitate normal development in children with physical and cognitive impairments.
* Attend multidisciplinary team meetings to discuss patient management.
* Liaise with a wide variety of other professionals, as well as patient's families regarding holistic patient management.
* Provides written reports and notes for individual patients on clinical findings and maintains progress reports on patients.
* Maintain knowledge of current development and new techniques within the Occupational Therapy profession so as to provide the current treatment to patients when appropriate.
* Designing and manufacture of assistive devices for the individuals work/ living environment as well as instructing the patients in the use of assistive devices and home programs to be used at home.
* Performs delegated duties, which may be assigned in order to contribute to the overall running of the department.
* Participate in the in-service training held in the in the department and other departments when needed.
* Establishes and maintains quality standards of care for individuals.
* Complete all administration tasks in terms of stock taking, record keeping, ordering of equipment and materials for the occupational therapy section.
* Formulates plans to ensure the department meets future program requirements.
* Responsible for the requisition of supplies and equipment.
* Participate in supervision and training of Interns and technicians
* Participate actively in the department delegated committee task to ensure quality and effective function of the department.
* Interpersonal skills conducive to working in a multi-cultural environment.
* To be highly motivated and have the qualities to blend to a multicultural team.
Occupational Therapy or equivalent. Masters degree is an advantage.